My Beautiful Family

My Beautiful Family

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sabbath Day Light: Every Day like Easter Sunday

This past Sunday was so wonderful. It was Easter Sunday, so my husband and I made a special effort with our kids to focus on the Savior. We also got to hear beautiful music and messages in church about Christ's atonement and resurrection. Then, we were able to spend time that evening with the people we love most - our family. It was one of those days you wish you could have every day.


As I think about it, though, can't every day be like Easter Sunday? If I am to call myself a true disciple of Jesus Christ, mustn't I remember Him every day? Shouldn't I bear witness of Him at all times? Can't I feel the Spirit testify to me of the divinity of Christ at any given moment?


I think that we feel more comfortable talking about Jesus around Christmas-time or Easter-time because people expect Christians to talk about Him during those times. However, as the Apostle Paul says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek (Romans 1:16)."


In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Nephi speaks of his people, the Nephites, and how they live. He says, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins (2Nephi 25:26)."


How can we better show our devotion to Christ - to talk of Him and to rejoice in Him? I have a few suggestions:


1. Listen to and sing spiritual songs of praise and love to the Lord.


I know for me, when I sing or hear hymns at church, at home, or in the car, I always feel warm and joyful. I feel the Holy Ghost touching my heart. I especially love to hear my children sing hymns. I always have to wipe tears from my eyes when I hear their sweet voices.





Colossians 3:16 - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.


Doctrine and Covenants 25:12 - For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.


2. Read the scriptures daily and ponder their meaning in your life.


My husband and I read from the Book of Mormon each night with our children. Then before we go to bed, he and I will listen to recent General Conference talks or watch Bible videos about Christ's teachings. Individually, my husband and I also strive to study the word of God.


1 Nephi 19:23 - ...I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.


2 Nephi 32:3 - ...Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.


Psalms 119:105 - Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.





**If you would like to learn more about The Book of Mormon, click here.


3. Pray to Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ daily, always having a prayer in your heart.


When you pray, you are showing that you love God, that you wish to communicate with Him, that you believe that He hears and answers your prayers, that you have faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ. We can pray for many things, such as for safety for our family, comfort, help, answers, and blessings. This shows that we trust that God loves us and wishes to bless us. We should also focus on thanking God for all the blessings we have and will receive. In all these forms of praying, we can come closer to our Father in Heaven, as well as our Savior.


I love praying, and pray many times a day. I strive to say sincere prayers, and to really remember who I am talking to.





1 Thessalonians 5: 17-18 -  Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.


Psalms 55:17 - Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.


4. Observe the world around you and see God's hand in all things.


When I smell a flower, look into my children's eyes, drive through the mountains, gaze at a rainbow, accomplish something I didn't think I could, I feel God's presence near.


One of my favorite children's hymns is called My Heavenly Father Loves Me. Here are the words:.


Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.


 He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.






I know that if we can see God's hand in all things, we will talk of God more, and we will feel His love more abundantly.


Alma 30:44  ...The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.


5.  Love and serve others.


When we help other people, whether it be in our homes, in our churches, or in our communities, we learn to be a little more selfless, a little more kind, a little more compassionate, a little more like Christ.


As we love our neighbors, we can help them feel God's love for them. I am always happier and feel more fulfilled when I am helping someone else.


President Dieter F. Uchtdorf,  Second Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said, "As we extend our hands and hearts toward others in Christlike love, something wonderful happens to us. Our own spirits become healed, more refined, and stronger. We become happier, more peaceful, and more receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit." You can read his whole talk on how we can be the Lord's hands here.





Mosiah 2:17 -  And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.


St. Matthew 25:40 -  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.


St. John 13:34 - A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 


6. Testify of Jesus Christ and His gospel.


In my life, my testimony of Jesus Christ, and my relationship with Him, has grown the most through sharing His gospel with others.


Never have I felt the Spirit more, felt the love of God for me individually more, realized my purpose and worth more, than when I am anxiously engaged in the work of bringing souls unto Christ.


Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want all people to receive exaltation. Those of us who have the truth are called to share it with the world, so all can partake of the gift of the atonement of our Savior.


Doctrine and Covenants 18:15 - And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!


Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!





I know that if we do these things, as well as any other things that draw us nearer to God, that each and every day can be as special to us as Easter Sunday. Let us live our religion every day, and love the Lord with all our heart, might, mind and strength.









2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful thoughts. I agree about Christmas and Easter being more "accepted" times to speak of Christ. At those times, I take that freedom as an opportunity to practice bearing testimony of Him, then try to keep celebrating the holiday by doing the things you've listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. What a wonderful example you are!

      Delete

I love getting feedback! Please comment or share if this post moves you.