My Beautiful Family

My Beautiful Family

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My Favorite Piece of Jewelry

For Christmas this year, I asked my husband to get me something I already have. It's a type of ring that has very special meaning to me. Recently I have felt a very strong desire to wear this ring, or one like it, every day of my life. No longer do I want to have to choose between wearing this ring and wearing other rings I love. I want to have two rings like this that will fit on different fingers.

What kind of ring am I talking about? 

The one I have now looks like this:




It's a simple looking ring, but it is so special to me. It isn't special because of who gave it to me (I love you, Mom), or because it was very expensive, or even one of a kind. 

It is special to me for a very different reason - wearing it helps remind me of the kind of person I want to be.

The center of the ring is a shield, and in it are the letters CTR, which stand for Choose the Right. This means when faced with decisions, big or small, we will choose to do what Heavenly Father and Jesus would want us to do. 


I have had a CTR ring since I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 8 years old. All newly baptized children receive this exact ring:

As a child, I often sang a song called "Choose the Right Way," which reminded me of my the meaning of my CTR ring... Choose the right way, and be happy. I must always choose the right.

The CTR logo was actually inspired from a different song that I love in my church, called "Choose the Right." My favorite verse says:

Choose the right! There is peace in righteous doing.
Choose the right! There's safety for the soul.
Choose the right in all labors you're pursuing;
Let God and heaven be your goal.

To me, the shield on the CTR ring represents a spiritual armor we choose to wear that provides us with safety from Satan's influences. 

Paul told the Ephesians to put on the whole armor of God. To him, the shield was of utmost importance:

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

It takes a lot of faith in God to make the right choices, even when they aren't popular or easy. As the definition of good and right changes in society, we can look to God to retain the pure definitions. 



An apostle from my church, L. Tom Perry, said something I truly believe: 

There is power in a tie tack, a CTR ring, or a white dress hanging in the closet if we associate them with our desires for purity and righteousness. Even more important than physical reminders is to have the conviction deep down in our hearts to live the kind of life that will cause us to make the right choices, not only for peace and happiness in the world right now, but also for peace and happiness eternally.

I have always associated my CTR ring with righteousness, but for some reason, now more than ever I have this conviction to do what is right. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes (I make many), but I truly desire to do my best, and to help others find the light I have. I also have a greater desire to forgive and seek forgiveness  to serve others, and to make friends everywhere I go.

This CTR ring is not just a representation of things I think are good, but my CTR ring has become a part of me. I don't like being without it, just as I don't like being without my wedding ring. They are a part of who I am, and sacred commitments I have promised to always keep. 

Do you have jewelry that has special meaning for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Please comment or share if this post moves you.