My Beautiful Family

My Beautiful Family

Monday, June 9, 2014

Sabbath Day Light: I know that God is real. I will never deny it.

Church this Sunday was once again amazing. I was so happy to have a couple of my friends attend with us to support me as I sang, and to share in our love of our new building. I was also able to hear a friend, who recently began coming back to church, sing in church, which I felt very honored and blessed to witness. I also loved the lessons I learned from speakers and teachers.


Just like last week, the Spirit was so strong. It enveloped me like a warm hug. During one point in our Sacrament Meeting the Spirit burned a fire in my heart, testifying to me of ultimate truth.
This moment occurred when a group of people I love - a good friend, and three youth who I admire for their strong testimonies - got up and sang to the congregation. Before they sang, they took turns narrating a story and scripture to preface the song's tender subject. Here are the words to the song.


"The Power of God"
From Cumorah's Hill
Steven Kapp Perry


Listen to the wind blow,
Lonely as a sigh.
Nothing overhead but empty sky.
Look up at starlight
On a dark night;
Are we all alone,
An island in space?
Or is there a plan
Where I have a place?

Could it be that heaven
Is man's imagining,
Reaching out for hope in childish dreams?
Stories so old then,
We've outgrown them?
Has God gone away
Or hidden His face?
Have miracles ceased to be?



CHORUS: But the power of God is plain to see,
There are wonders on every hand
To those who will see through eyes of faith,
Beyond the mind of man.

For how could we hope
To see His face,
Who never could see
His hand?



Some may see a rainbow
As nothing more than light.
Others see a promise and a sign.
Everyday wonders
Without number
Are here all around
And wait to be found
By those who have eyes to see.



CHORUS (repeat)


Listen to the wind blow,
Then listen once again.






Tears streamed down my face as I listened to this choir of beautiful voices. Their voices mesmerized, their countenances shone, their faith encompassed the entire chapel.


I felt without a shadow of a doubt, not only that they believed what they were singing, not only that I also believed what they were singing, but that the words to the song were absolutely true.


The scripture story that the youth read from before singing was in the Book of Mormon in Alma Chapter 30.


The portion the group read was:


"And then Alma said unto [Korihor], Believest thou that there is a God? And he answered, Nay (37, 38).


And now, what evidence have ye that there is no God, or that Christ cometh not? I say unto you that ye have none, save it be your word only (40)...


I say until you, I know there is a God, and also that Christ shall come...yea and all things denote there is a God" (39, 44).





There are so many people who do not believe in God, and it shocks and saddens me.  Some do not believe because of scientific studies that say the earth is millions of years old, rather than only a few thousand. Some do not believe because they have never seen God, and nobody can prove to them 100% that there is a God. Some maybe used to believe, but no longer do because of hardships they have endured, and cannot see how God would allow such suffering to occur. Finally, there are some who do not believe in God and Jesus Christ because they have never heard about them.


Some things I have learned through study and prayer are:


1. Faith precedes the miracle. We will not receive a witness of truth until after the trial of our faith.
2. God has not revealed all knowledge yet, and we will know someday if we remain faithful. When Christ comes again, he will reveal all things.
3. We each have been given our freedom to choose God. If it were incredibly obvious that God existed and that we should follow Him, then there would be no need for faith, and no ability to grow and learn.
4. Pain and suffering are gifts to us, as they give us the opportunity to humble ourselves, turn to the Lord for help, learn patience, realize our will is not always God's will, open our perspective to the eternities,  help us appreciate our prosperous times more, and strengthen our faith.
5. All people who have lived and who ever will live will have the opportunity to know of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Nobody will be lost just because they didn't know God. There is work being done now in temples, and will continue when Christ comes again, to ensure that all people have the chance to choose God if they desire Him.


The beautiful song that my friends sang helps us see God's hand in all things. He is the divine creator. The things we have on this earth, the small things, the beautiful things, all things, come from Him. We cannot look, smell, touch, or hear without witnessing God's love for us.








4 comments:

  1. This was lovely, Mandy! Thank you so much for sharing this! I will pass your message on, and thank you for your part yesterday, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your reply so much. Your husband and son both contributed greatly to the strong Spirit in yesterday's meeting. :0)

      Delete
  2. Inspired words can penetrate our hearts so effectively when put to beautiful music. It gives the Spirit the perfect medium to help us feel our Father's love. Thanks for sharing your testimony of this in words and in song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your words perfectly express my feelings. Thank you for reading, and I hope you pass this along to your lovely daughter. :)

      Delete

I love getting feedback! Please comment or share if this post moves you.